Car accidents are a frequent cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These brain injuries can be life-changing in both the short and long term.
The CDC explains that TBIs:
- Caused 64,000 deaths in 2020
- Occur at a rate of about 176 per day
- Are caused by a variety of injuries, including falls, firearm-related suicide, and assaults
- Often occur from motor vehicle collisions
If you have been the victim of a head injury caused by a car accident, what are your options? Compensation may be available for the damages and injuries you incurred. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer can help you determine the next best steps in your recovery.
What Is a TBI?
In a car accident, your head may hit the steering wheel, windshield, dashboard, headrest, or flying objects. If a person is ejected from the vehicle, their head may collide with the road itself.
Head injuries can be fatal, but survivors often deal with TBIs.
Types of Brain Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
TBIs range from mild to severe.
If the TBI leaves no external injury such as bleeding or lacerations, it is categorized as a form of closed-head trauma. Concussions are an example of closed-head trauma.
A TBI that involves a penetrative head wound is called open-head trauma. During a car accident, the head can be penetrated by projectiles, pieces of the car, or countless other objects.
Symptoms of a Mild TBI
The symptoms of a TBI can vary from one person to another. However, there are some things to look for.
- Headaches and migraines
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and a general sense of drowsiness
- Speech issues
- Dizziness, vertigo, and loss of balance
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Changes to taste and mouth
- Sensitivity to both light and sound
- Loss of consciousness (anywhere from seconds to minutes in duration)
- Memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood swings
- Trouble sleeping
- Excessive sleeping
Symptoms of a Moderate to Severe TBI
Someone who suffers from a moderate to severe TBI can experience all of the symptoms of a mild TBI and more. Symptoms may be obvious right away or take several days to appear.
- A longer period of lost consciousness (minutes to hours)
- Persistent headaches and migraines
- Repeated incidents of vomiting
- Seizure activity
- Dilated pupils (one or both)
- Clear fluid draining out of the ears or nose
- Inability to be awakened from sleep
- Numb or weak fingers and toes
- Loss of physical coordination
- Extreme confusion
- Unusual behavior like agitation and combativeness
- Slurred speech
- Consciousness disorders such as entering a coma
When to Seek Help for a Head Injury
It is important to always seek medical care after any car accident. If you hit your head during the accident, it’s even more important to seek medical attention.
Medical professionals can evaluate car accident victims for both open and closed head trauma and provide essential guidance for recovery.
The Effects of a Brain Injury from a Car Accident
People who suffer head injuries from a car accident often struggle with a long recovery process.
They face hefty medical bills, a lengthy recovery period, time off from work, and complicated limitations to their normal behaviors as they recover. They may not be able to use a computer or phone for some time. Students struggle with test-taking and concentration even after they have been cleared to return to the classroom.
If you or someone you love has experienced a brain injury from a car accident, reaching out to a personal injury attorney is the first step to making sure you have all the information you need about your options.
Flores Law Group–Indianapolis’s Compassionate, Knowledgeable Car Accident Attorneys
As one of the premier car accident law firms in Indianapolis, Flores Law Group protects the rights of car accident victims.
We can help you with tasks that include:
- Determining who is at fault for your accident
- Collecting paperwork and documentation to prove fault
- Filing insurance claims and lawsuits related to your case
- Recording and documenting expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and disability
Seek Legal Compensation with the Help of Flores Law Firm
At the Flores Law Group, we are dedicated to serving our clients and ensuring that they get the help they need following a car accident.
Contact us at 317-900-2556 or fill out our online form to request a free consultation. We will sit with you and learn about your accident and what has happened since. Then we will let you know how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.