According to the CDC, over 800,000 hospitalizations occur due to slip and fall injuries. Furthermore, one in five falls can result in severe injuries, including broken bones or head injuries, and over 17,000 people die from slip, trip, and fall injuries annually. CDC findings also show that nearly 15% of all job-related injuries started with slipping at work, and 12-15% of all Workers’ Compensation expenses stem from slips and falls.
Even though the statistics show that injuries from slip and fall accidents can have life-altering results, many insurance companies only view a slip and fall as a minor accident. Because of this classification, many victims of slip and fall accidents do not receive total compensation for the damages caused by the accident. To protect their right to compensation and receive the financial restitution they deserve, slip and fall victims need to seek legal help.
If you have experienced a slip and fall accident in Indiana, contact Flores Law Group today at 317-900-2556 for a free consultation!
What Causes Slip and Fall Injuries?
More often than not, the fault of slip and fall injuries is initially placed on the victim. Though people are more than capable of falling on their own, many falls causing injury result from outside forces acting upon the individual. Slip, trip, and fall cases caused by circumstances outside of their control need to be carefully analyzed to determine if they can seek compensation for medical treatment caused by the accident.
It is crucial for slip and fall victims to identify the party or parties liable for the incident. The property’s occupant or owner is often the root of many tripping accidents. However, multiple parties–including property owners or tenants–may be responsible for damages resulting from accidents. Determining the liable party gives fall victims a better chance at receiving full compensation for damages.
Outside factors that could result in a slip and fall injury may include one or more of the following:
- Uneven or cracked flooring, sidewalks, or pavement
- Icy sidewalks or pavement
- Wet floors with standing water
- Insufficient or dim lighting systems
- Inadequate or negligent security
- Disorganized, obstructive, or falling inventory
- Poorly maintained machinery
- Improperly posted signage for cleaning or repair
If you have experienced a slip and fall resulting in injury and any of these factors apply to you, contact experienced personal injury attorneys today. A skilled personal injury lawyer knows how to gather evidence and build a viable case for your slip and fall accident.
Where Can Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
The varying nature and causes of slip and fall accidents make any location a possible slip and fall risk. In Indiana, premises liability laws cover slipping injuries occurring on commercial, public, and residential properties. As with any injury, the chances of sustaining an injury from tripping are higher in areas frequently affected by the weather or negligent behavior.
Many common locations susceptible to tripping and falling include:
- Public and private parking areas
- Crowded business locations like grocery stores, shopping malls, and other retail stores
- Restaurants and gas stations
- Buildings with steps and stairs
- Pools and recreational facilities
- Motels, hotels, and resorts
- Government facilities
- Sporting arenas and stadiums
- Construction zones
- Residential properties
Potential tripping hazards exist at many different locations. There is a possibility of injury from improperly labeled uneven sidewalks to wet floors without proper signage. Staying aware of your surroundings and looking out for potential risks may keep you out of harm’s way. However, some accidents cannot be avoided–even when a great deal of care is used.
What Injuries Result from Slip and Fall Accidents?
There is a wide range of injuries caused by the thousands of tripping incidents in the United States each year. Many injuries are minor, such as scrapes and bruises, while more severe damages like broken bones or traumatic brain injury may also occur. Some of the most common injuries include but are not limited to:
- Concussions or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries negatively affect brain function. Professionals classify these head injuries on a spectrum from mild to severe–depending on the injury’s intensity. Symptoms include nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, memory loss, and other cognitive issues.
- Lacerations: Lacerations are any tearing or breaking of the flesh. Slip and fall accidents occurring in hazardous, hard-surface, or unkept areas may result in lacerations to the skin. If not appropriately treated, lacerations can become infected and result in intensive treatment to remove the infection.
- Contusions: Also known as bruises, contusions or hematomas result from blood collecting outside of blood vessels. Impacts on hard surfaces such as shelving or floors can cause mild to severe hematomas in slip and fall victims.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are one of the more severe injuries occurring from slip and fall accidents. Damage to the spinal cord can result in the loss of motor function, nervous system issues, and even complete paralysis.
- Fractures: Slip and fall injuries resulting in heavy impacts with hard surfaces can result in fractured bones. Depending on their severity and location, the recovery process from fractures can be long and intensive. Common body parts that fracture during tripping incidents include hands, wrists, arms, hips, legs, ankles, and feet.
- Sprains, Strains, and Tears: Sprains, strains, and tears all refer to different classifications of ligament, tendon, or muscle injuries. Sprains are the stretching or tearing of ligaments (which connect bone-to-bone), while strains and tears occur in tendons (which connect muscle-to-bone) and muscles. These injuries can cause severe pain and require rest, compression, pain medication, or the use of crutches.
The most extreme trip, slip, and fall incidents may result in paralysis, incapacitation, or even death. The varying nature of injury caused by slip and fall accidents can sometimes make it challenging to link injuries with the accident itself. That’s why fall victims should choose to seek legal help when making a case for their damages.
Seek Slip and Fall Compensation with Outstanding Indianapolis Legal Council
Flores Law Group dedicates itself to ensuring our clients receive the help they need after experiencing trip, slip, and fall incidents. You no longer need to worry about the insurance companies because we take that fight from you to ensure you get the compensation you need for current and future medical expenses. Our dedicated team will help you gather the information you need to create the best possible case and then use our courtroom experience to secure the support you need after your car accident.
Fill out our form for a free slip and fall consultation, give us a call at 317-900-2556, or stop by the office to find out how we can win you the compensation you deserve.